History of the La Farge United Methodist Church
1867 - 1976
In 1867 the first Methodist meetings were held in the log school house on Section 17 in the town of Stark, Vernon County, Wisconsin. Rev. C.N. Cunningham, the first pastor, organized a class in the winter of 1867-1868, with eighteen members.
The names of those were Samuel Smith and wife, Dempster Seeley and wife, Irvin Nixon and wife, William Bacon, wife, and daughter, Mrs. Stimble, Adelia Farnhan, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Barton, John Dyar, Synthia Moore, and Mary M. Miller.
In 1871 a church building was erected on a hill by Chapel Hill Cemetery and was known as the Star Chapel. The lumber was furnished by Dempster Steley and Anson DeJean, and was sawed in their mills that stood in the place now known as Seeleyburg.
Work on the building was donated by Seeley, DeJean, Nixon brothers, Bert Wood and many others.
The first revival in the church was held in March 1871, closing with a class of 55 members.
The conference meeting in Baraboo in 1899 named the charge La Farge. In 1900, it was called the Viola-La Farge Circuit.
While the Rev. A.C. Vaughn was pastor, on January 15, 1902, the old Star Chapel was sold to the Norwegian Lutherans and a new site selected in La Farge for the present Methodist church, which was dedicated that year. The ground was purchased from Mr. Dred Bean in 1900 at a cost of $250. The approximate cost of this church building completed was $2,500. The last debt of the church was paid to Mr. John Thayer in 1910.
At the beginning of the church year of 1912 Rev. W.P. burrows was